Sunday, June 5, 2011

Grego's Salsa Salad:

When I make this salsa it is only wise to make it in an ridiculously large batch or else I might have to make it every day.
Although to any other person this is simply 'fresh salsa' to Gregory this is salad to be eaten by heaping tablespoons with breakfast meals and just anything else he can think of.
When we first became sweethearts I use to make this salsa for him.  Every morning we would have it with poached eggs.  No word of a lie it may have been how I won his heart.  Yup its that good!

Fresh not Frozen blueberries are the only way to go...but you can try mango or pineapple too.  The Chipotle peppers can be found in a little tin in the Mexican section at most grocery marts.
Be careful with this ingredient!  Just 1 pepper can go a long way in a large batch of salsa.
I fork one of these lil babies out and cut it up into tiny pieces with a fork and a sharp knife then add it to the mix without ever touching it.  Guaranteed I rub my eyes after toughing these hot things ..learn from my mistakes my friends !
The tomatillo are a type of green tomato that come covered by a papery husk.  These simply cannot be skipped.  Also a word to the wise ...memorising the grocery code for these will get you through the checkout line faster since they seem a little uncommon.
So this is what we like to put in our Fresh Salsa ...ehhhemmm Salad :)

  • Onion 
  • Red pepper 
  • Juice of 1 lime (more if you like)
  • vine ripened tomatoes 
  • tomatillo's 1 or two is great
  • chipotle pepper (I use 1 ...If you like it hot go for more)
Chop it up and enjoy ....I really like cilantro but find not everyone is a fan.  So most often I wont add this but I think it makes it extra yummy :)












No comments:

Post a Comment