Sunday, March 18, 2012

FISH TACO's

Fish Tacos is one of those meals that seems to be a bit of prep.  Cutting veggies snipping cilantro leaves....this takes time.  But I truly believe when you take care in cutting each colourful ingredient you put love into your food for you and your family and it always tastes better than something just thrown together.
Also something that I think is totally missed when people talk about the importance of potion sizing.

Eating 6 small meals a day.  This can sometimes leave you feeling so unsatisfied after gobbling up your tiny portion.  BUT if you can make that portion So super tasty and beautiful and remind yourself that in just 2-3 hours you will be eating again somehow it seems much more manageable.
Making sure you have included your good fats in these small portions is also a really important part of getting a satisfied feeling from a meal.  But this just gets me talking and talking about diet tips and strategies and how to make it all work.
FOR now for today just keep it simple.  Make your food colourful beautiful and super tasty.
Add slices of Mango,
sprinkle small grated bits of sharp cheese (goat Feta is my fav) it doesn't take much,
snip green onions,
thin cut strips of nori,
black sesame seeds ...try it ...you will enjoy your food so much!  Even when it is a small portion.

This weekend I was totally inspired by my friend Kelly.  Kelly is one of those people that walks into a room with a smile that will nock your sox off.  Her energy and light is totally contagious.  Kelly was making fish Taco's for her family this weekend.  Her very beautiful daughter was visiting home for the weekend and they were going to press their own fresh tortillas and make a beautify family meal together.
I didn't get a chance to make my own tortillas but they turned out incredible just the same.
ENOUGH blah blah blah
the recipe.....

Fish Taco's:
YOu will need...
  • White fish (I love Halibut)
  • 1 clove garlic- minced
  • 1/2 tsp Chili powder
  • 1/4 Cup Fresh squeezed lime juice
  • Corn Tortillas (If you can press your own (fun & easy) your meal will be bursting with love!
  • Ripe Avocado
  • Fresh Mango -sliced into pretty match sticks
  • Goat Feta
  • Purple cabbage- sliced into long strips
  • Organic Cilantro (my Grego HATES this stuff but I love it ... I use to think it tasted like spit bugs but now I love it ..im not sure I have ever eaten a spit bug ...but you know when you pick a berry and gobble it up without checking it for bugs ...and of course you taste sweet berry flavour mixed with the sharp taste of bug...that is sorta what cilantro tastes like)
  • Quick Fresh Salsa *
I make a fresh salsa for my sweet heart that he keeps in his fridge and eats with his Eggs every morning.
Tonight I just made extra for our Tacos.  It really can be as fancy as you want. This is how we make ours:
 * Grego Salsa Salad
cut all ingredients below as small as you have patients for to make a fabulous salsa ..you might never buy store bought again
  • Small purple onion 
  • 1/4 Cup Fresh Lime Juice
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 sml container of grape tomatoes
  • 2 medium sized Tomatillos 
  • Red & Yellow Peppers
  • 1 tsp vinager
  • 1-2 tsp chipotle pepper depending on how hot you like it ....you can buy a small tin of chipotle peppers in the mexican food isle at your grocery mart.  They are pretty inexpensive.  Kelly shared with me that after she opens her tin she puts it through her tiny food processor then keeps it in a small glass jar in the fridge ...whenever you make salsa its there...it lasts forever and doesn't go bad. In case you didn't gather from the earlier rant...Kelly is brilliant.
    NOW to make your tacos.

    *FISH:
    I make a tiny marinade for my fish with the 1/2 tsp chilli powder and 1/4 Cup of lime juice, and minced garlic.
    I let the fish sit in this for 10 minutes before I throw it on the grill 2 - 3 mins per side is about right.  If you want you can wrap it in tin foil so as to not lose any through the grill.  Also baking it in the oven works too.
    Prepare your fish then set aside covered to keep warm.

    *Warm your Tortillas

    * Build: 
     This is how I do it:
    Take your Tortilla,
    smoosh avocado,
    add white fish,
    add just a bit of grated feta,
    Mango slices,
    purple cabbage,
    top with Grego salsa & Cilantro 
    ENJOY!














    No comments:

    Post a Comment