Monday, May 28, 2012

Spring Time Veggie Spring Rolls & Spicy Tahini dipping Sauce

Today was the beginning of a week off work for me YAY.
I have had a full plate trying to pack my home since my son and I will be moving in just a month.
It is CRaZy how much stuff we acquire over time.
So much stuff I need to organize it really feels overwhelming.  But I am just trying to tackle it a but at a time.
TODAY was a bit of a repreive from the boxing and sorting and cleaning that I have been doing all weekend
Today my mom and I finally got to spend some time together
She has been un well for quite some time
She has started to feel a bit better and it was definitely time to get her out and about just a little bit

WE hit the new Cafe in Heriot Bay for some awesome Chai tea
Next stop my house for a quick lunch
Then to the Hairdressers for a long awaited Spring trim for mom
she left the hairdresser with bounce in her step and a huge smile on her face
since she knows she looks great and even feels pretty good too
I cannot tell you how much that means to me to see her well
She looks happy

For Lunch I wanted to make something I knew she would like.
Something healthy but not boring.
I made Spring Rolls, a Roll of Brown Rice Sushi, and a roll of Quinoa Sushi.
There are a couple of things that she has started to avoid in her diet and I wanted to help her learn to Love Quinoa like I do.

If you have never tried to make Spring rolls with rice papers you would be so surprised at how easy it is.
I Really Love Peanut sauce for Spring Rolls but I have recently really started to pay attention to the dangers of Peanuts and mold.
Peanuts are susceptible to a fungi known as Aspergillus which produces aflatoxins (a known carcinogen) that can inflame and impair the liver, even possibly leading to cancer or liver shutdown. 
I am sad there is just nothing better than peanut butter banana rice cake :(
But Make this TAHIHI sauce for your dip and you won't even miss the peanut taste.  I promise!


You can put So many different things into these rolls
This is what I used to make our rolls today.  

Rice Paper 
2 Large Carrots
Fresh Ginger
Raw Sesame Seeds 


Cucumber 
Green  Spring Salad Mix
Green Onion
Purple Cabbage 
Mung Bean Sprouts 
Avocato 
Mango 
Cooked Quinoa 




First thing I like to do is sauté some of the Veggies I am putting in the rolls.  
Just sauté enough to take the raw edge off the veggies but not enough to make them too cooked.

Carrot Ginger Saute:
2 Medium Carrots
1/4 Cup sesame seeds
2 Tbsp Fresh Ginge, minced 
Squeeze of Lemon juice



Start by toasting the sesame seeds in a dry skillet.  Toast just until they are lightly toasted and start to snap.
Next add your carrots and sauté for 4 - 5 mins.  Remove from heat add Lemon juice.  Set aside to cool.


NEXT make your special Tahini sauce:


Spicy Tahini Dip:
1/3 Cup Organic Tahini
1 Clove Garlic
2 tsp Tamari (or other soy sauce)
2 tsp Agave Nectar
2 Tbsp Water
3 Tbsp Lime juice
1 Pinch Crushed Red Chili Pepper Flakes  


Mix all ingredients in a small bowl till combined.  Adjust taste as desired.  




Roll Time!
Make your rolls:

  1. Start by finding a shallow dish or pie plate to soak your wraps in.  Fill your dish with warm room temperature water.
  2. Place one wrap in the water until it becomes soft (about 1 minute)
  3. Next transfer you soft paper to a clean plate for your work surface.  I find making another paper at this pointing and doubling up makes a big difference.  Sometime the papers like to tear.  This will make things much easier.
  4. Next place your fillings in the centre of the paper, plus a nice drizzle of sauce.  Be careful not to overload....remember next you have to attempt to roll this little baby up!
  5. Fold the top half of the wrap over the fillings.  Then fold in both the sides.  Then keep rolling to seal at end.  Sorta like a burrito :)










Now its time to Eat!


Enjoy !
xoxo
ASia Girl







No comments:

Post a Comment