Soups Rock !
They are quick easy lunches for work
Amazing comforting perfect quick dinners
We like to make a simple green Salad
sometimes whip up some biscuits, corn bread or some rustic crusty bread
Soup can make your whole family happy
I love soup ...almost as much as I love Tea ...maybe
When my son asks me if I was sent to another planet and I could only bring 3 things....
What would I bring?
Well.....Tea is always #2....
Bodo is always #1 of course couldn't live a moment without my Bodo!!
#3 might be soup...Soup OR Grego...
It would be a really tuff choice and I really love Grego so you now understand my love for soup
This weekend I sorta went GANGBUSTERS making soups for our freezer
I want to save money...I want easy lunches...I want easy warm yummy dinners so I can spend my evenings loving my sweethearts
(ahhhhemmm surfing food gawker and drowning slowly in lady Grey Tea yeahhhhh)
This weekend I made 3 soups
I now have Tons of soup in my freezer and I feel really braggy about it
I made yummy Chicken Tortilla Soup,
Put this Manly Beef Stew in the Crock Pot,
AND made this amazing Apple Butternut Squash soup MY Favourite! so spicy and yummy
I have such a hard time buying soup
SO many reasons
My biggest hate of store bought is the fact that they always put sugar in it
This squash soup gets its sweetness from crunchy fall apples
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- I medium Onion, diced
- 1 Butternut squash (peeled, cored & chopped SAVE your squash seeds!)
- 4 Red or Gold apples (peeled, cored, & chopped)
- 2 tsp course salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground corriander (I use whole seeds and crush them SUPER fragrant)
- 1/2 tsp fresh Ginger
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Chicken or Veg stock (my favourite for soup)
- 2 1/2 cups water (more if needed)
- Melt Butter, add onion, cook & stir till soft (4mins)
- Add Squash & Cook, stir occasionally until soft (about 10 mins)
- Add apples, spices and water (just enough to cover) reduce to a simmer & cook until very soft (30 mins ?)
- Puree in batches till smooth
I store my soups in Large canning jars in my freezer
Always careful to leave enough head room in the top and ensure it is not sealed
The soup will expand when it freezes so you have to be careful to give it room
This makes it so easy to bring your soup out of the freezer the night before
takes up less room in the fridge
and pops right into the microwave at work