Sunday, December 9, 2012

Wild Rice Side Dish




Craving something different
flipping through my gigantic pile of Food Mags
Found a nice recipe for Rice stuffing
BUT I decided that this would be a very nice side
as well as left overs for lunch
Turned out SO yummy
you should try it !
I imagine it would be amazing stuffed in an Acorn squash

NOTE:  I made a half order of this since I wasn't sure how my family would like it. SInce this recipe serves 12!
The dried cherries are a bit pricey but I went for it since I just needed something different so I figured it was worth the cost to make our meal exciting

Ingredients:

2 1/2 Cups Water
1 14.5 oz can of reduced sodium chicken or veg broth
1 Cup Wild Rice
1 Cup Long Grain Rice
3/4 Cup dried Cherries
2 TBSP Cranberry Juice or Port wine (I used water)
1/4 Butter
3/4 Cup Chopped Celery
3/4 Cup Chopped Leeks (I used onion)
1/2 Cup Chopped Carrot (1 Medium)
1/4 Cup Fresh Italian Parsley (flat leaf)
1 Tbsp fresh Snipped Sage
1 Tbsp fresh snipped Thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 Cup sliced Almonds, toasted
1/4 Cup reduced Sodium Chicken Broth


  1. In a large saucepan combine water and the can of broth.  Bring to boiling.  Add wild rice.  Return to boiling, reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, for 25 mins.  NEXT Add Long Grain rice.  Return to boiling, reduce heat, simmer covered for another 20 mins or so.
  2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine cherries and port (or water).  Cover and let sit for 20 mins
  3. In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat.  Add celery, leeks, and carrot.  Cook and stir for about 5 mins or until tender.  Stir in parsley, thyme, sage, salt, & pepper.Cook 1 more min
  4. Lightly greece a 2 quart casserole dish and set aside.  In a large bowl combine cooked rice & veg mixture, cherry mixture, and almonds.  transfer to your casserole dish.  (To serve today, omit step 5 and continue as directed to step #6)
  5. Cover with plastic wrap, chill for up to 24 hours.
  6. 6.  Preheat oven to 350.  If chilled, remove plastic wrap.  If desired drizzle dressing with additional 1/4 Cup chicken broth to moisten (I did this step).  Bake, covered for 35- 40 mins or until heated through, stirring once or twice.





No comments:

Post a Comment