Sunday, January 6, 2013

Homemade Tortillas


Do you make your own ?
Homemade versions of most foods that we buy are often SO different than store bought
Tortillas are a perfect example
These are SO SO yummy
A total staple at my house since Bodo and I don't eat bread
I toast tortillas in the morning to eat with my poached eggs
Bodo makes toasted nut butter snacks with them
they are great with soup,
toasted and cut into strips on salad
OR Fish tacos, enchiladas THEY ARE GREAT!

All you need to make your own is Masa Harina flour & water
A tortilla press makes pressing them much easier but if you dont have one you can easily improvise and use a rolling pin and two pieces of parchment paper
When I set out to make these I go gangbusters and get two pans going
I make stacks of them and freeze them.
They go from freezer, to toaster, to plate in no time flat
Maybe some would disagree but I think making these is pretty fun
Bodo is often the press guy as I make the balls to squish

What you will need:

2 Cups Masa Harina Flour
1 1/2 - 2 cups warm water
thats it!

Make them:
Add flour into large bowl
Add your water kneading until incorporated.
Cover and let rest for at least 30 mins.
Next its time to roll into golf ball sized balls for the squisher!
At this point you may need to add a bit more water until you get your dough to the right stickiness.  Sometimes it turns out too crumbly to work with this will tell you you need a bit more water
...and if you add too much just adjust with a bit more flour :) You will get use to what works
Using parchment paper is a TOTAL must!
I use it on my tortilla press otherwise the lil suckers just stick!

Simply heat your frying pan on medium heat...no oil needed.
2 - 3 mins per side until toasty
stack em and cover with a clean damp cloth
Eat immediately or freeze
Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment