Couple of weekends ago I made a buckwheat grout bread.
I lived off this stuff as my morning snack at work.
Friday the last bites were destroyed SO
This weekend I knew I had to make another batch
I needed this to put in my lunch this week!
3 different stores in the south end of Nanaimo
No Buckwheat grouts…..
No Chia seeds…..
No Masa Herina …..this is sorta unrelated since I just really wanted to make homemade Tortillas too
BUt Totally frustrating and rant worthy
Almost ready to give up when I discovered in my pantry a lil bag of Buckwheat flour and a jar of millet I could grind into flour! YAY
This bread turned out even better than the Grout bread
too bad since the word grouts make the bread sound so sexy!
I think this is a great lil carb to pair with a yummy fall soup….a pretty green salad….or toasted with Nut butter
(Tip: small jar + Tahini + Maple syrup + Cinnamon + Vanilla Extract = super yummy spread for toast!)
- 1/2c + 2T raw buckwheat flour
- 1/2c + 2T raw millet flour [ground from whole millet in a blender]
- 2T chia seeds
- 2T ground flax meal
- 1/2c + 1T unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4c water
- 1/2t baking powder
- 1T unsweetened apple sauce
- 1T Graepseed oil
- 1t Brown Rice Syrup
- 1/2t salt
- Preheat oven to 375* and grease bottom + sides of a 9x9 square pan or line with parchment.
- Stir together buckwheat flour, millet flour, chia seeds, flax, baking powder, sucanat, salt + pepper in a medium sized bowl
- Add in water, nut milk, applesauce + oil and stir until just combined.
- Pour into pan, and evenly spread.
- Bake for about 42-46min, until golden brown + cracked all over the top.
*If you don’t have chia seeds, use 4T flax meal and vice versa.
*If you don’t have nut milk, you can use all water or cow’s milk.
*If you don’t have applesauce, you can use 2T oil.
*This should freezes well so it is always ready to pop into your lunch basket :)