Monday, September 22, 2014

Quick Buckwheat Millet Bread












Couple of weekends ago I made a buckwheat grout bread.
I lived off this stuff as my morning snack at work.
Friday the last bites were destroyed SO
This weekend I knew I had to make another batch 
I needed this to put in my lunch this week!

Roadblock….

3 different stores in the south end of Nanaimo
No Buckwheat grouts…..
No Chia seeds…..
No Masa Herina …..this is sorta unrelated since I just really wanted to make homemade Tortillas too 
BUt Totally frustrating and rant worthy

Almost ready to give up when I discovered in my pantry a lil bag of Buckwheat flour and a jar of millet I could grind into flour! YAY 
This bread turned out even better than the Grout bread 
too bad since the word grouts make the bread sound so sexy!
I think this is a great lil carb to pair with a yummy fall soup….a pretty green salad….or toasted with Nut butter 
(Tip: small jar + Tahini + Maple syrup + Cinnamon + Vanilla Extract = super yummy spread for toast!)


  • 1/2c + 2T raw buckwheat flour

  • 1/2c + 2T raw millet flour [ground from whole millet in a blender]

  • 2T chia seeds

  • 2T ground flax meal

  • 1/2c + 1T unsweetened almond milk

  • 3/4c water

  • 1/2t baking powder

  • 1T unsweetened apple sauce

  • 1T Graepseed oil

  • 1t Brown Rice Syrup

  • 1/2t salt

  1. Preheat oven to 375* and grease bottom + sides of a 9x9 square pan or line with parchment.

  2. Stir together buckwheat flour, millet flour, chia seeds, flax, baking powder, sucanat, salt + pepper in a medium sized bowl

  3. Add in water, nut milk, applesauce + oil and stir until just combined.

  4. Pour into pan, and evenly spread.

  5. Bake for about 42-46min, until golden brown + cracked all over the top.

Notes:

*If you don’t have chia seeds, use 4T flax meal and vice versa.

*If you don’t have nut milk, you can use all water or cow’s milk.

*If you don’t have applesauce, you can use 2T oil.

*This should freezes well so it is always ready to pop into your lunch basket :)

enjoy 
xoxo
Ashie Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment